Church of Santa Maria in Talciona


The first evidence of Santa Maria church is dated back to 1156, when in the rectory Guidi counts issued a document containing an exchange of goods placed in Talciona.
The church is an interesting example of a late Romanic building preserved almost completely and it’s made up with a rectangular aisle, ending in an apse covered by a roof built with travertine, sandstone, and limestone ashlars, disposed horizontally and in parallel.
The gabled facade has a crescent arch portal with a wrap-aroung wheel, decorated with patterns similar to the ones of the opening above.
On the archtrave, supported by concave shelves decorated with beasts figures, there’s a sculpture of the Adorazione dei Magi, roughly shaped, probably product of local craftmen, whose dating, provided by the engraving, is of 1234.
On the portal there’s a opening decorated with brick inserts and, between the portal and the spire of the facade, there’s a porcelain crest in the Robbian style of the Hospital of Santa Maria Nuova, realized probably after 1508.
The southern side has a clear difference in the walls’ parameter: the left part has a style identic to the facade’s ones, so dated before 1234, and in this area there’s a rose window decorated with geometric patterns and surrounded by a frame groove molded; the right part is older and belongs to the original church even if now it’s not viewable anymore because of the bell tower’s presence, dated back to the nineteenth century.
Along the whole side there’s the roof-covering realised with bricks disposed as sawtooth, result of the twentieth century restoring of the church.
The northern outdoor wall has the same features of the southern one: in this part there were a crescent arch portal, linked to the rectory, and a single window with a lintel, realised during the foundation of the community of canons throughout the twelfth century.

Loc. Talciona